GOAL - REACH 5,000 Kms - Walking and Jogging to Fitness!

Friday, April 8, 2011

Month 2 Continuing to Learn . . .


Great day, today.
"Kevin, if you ever read this, you made my day!"

Where are the weight changes we notice first?

My changes have been fun. 
I have developed ankles, wrists, can get into older rings and clothes that I had either outgrown or purchased with too much optimism
Not only can I see my 'knuckles' more clearly (it seems the bone is really just behind the skin), but new evidence of pre-existing tendons emerge. Instead of 'meaty hams' (well not that meaty but you get the picture) I am starting to develop hands not as pudgy, hands yearning for a kind of elegance. Hands I remember from my ballet classes in grade school years. Dare I say graceful? No, perhaps not yet, but soon!
Quite early on, my midriff flattened considerably. Interestingly enough, my weight looks as if it is 'falling off' at the bottom of my stomach, going up. 
But I am also losing all over. One other not so elegant change, good parts are getting flatter as they shrink, but are shrinking down rather than UP! The elasticity in my skin is virtually gone, alas I am starting to sag. 
The consistency of the fat is less dense, so other than walking 90 - 120 minutes a day, this tells me I have to start on some other gentle exercise. Gym - here I come!
I do have good things to look forward to in that department, however. Read on!
 
How do we lose weight? 
I went to http://www.annecollins.com for answers. Her site provides clear and non-judgmental information on weight. 
I went to another widely advertised site stemming from a television channel that has achieved widespread viewing. The video was of a slim lady doctor who probably never had to lose lots a weight, and she literally SCREAMED at people who complained how hard it was to keep it off. Needless to say, no comments from her site are mentioned here. 

Anne Collins, thank you!

Factors That Affect Speed of Weight Loss


The human body does not lose weight at a regular or uniform speed. Different people reduce weight at different speeds. This is because weight reduction is dependent on various factors, including: weight; diet and lifestyle; level of physical activity; health and genes (inc. metabolic rate); the level of stress experienced.

Weight Loss is Not an Exact Science


As you can see, not only does weight loss include other things besides fat-tissue, the actual speed of weight reduction is determined by a variety of individual factors. So it's difficult, if not impossible, to give a precise answer to the question "how fast can I lose weight?" However, as a rough guide, here are some basic guidelines for maximum weight loss.

What is the Most Weight You Can Lose?


It is possible to lose anything up to about 20 pounds of weight per week, but most of this is likely to be water. It will therefore be regained as soon as normal eating resumes. 

What is the Most Fat You Can Lose?


The maximum amount of body fat a healthy person can lose is about 3-4 pounds per week. Typically, only obese people are likely to be able to lose this amount of fat. By comparison, a woman of average weight (about 140 pounds) is likely to lose a maximum of about 1-1.5 pounds per week.

Why You Can't Lose More Weight


The human body is not designed to shed weight. It is designed to survive! Our basic body chemistry endures from prehistoric times, when famine, rather than obesity, was the biggest threat. This is why it won't lose excessive amounts of fat in a short period of time. In fact, if you drastically reduce your calorie-intake, your brain takes active steps to slow down your metabolism, in order to conserve calories. This is one reason why we encounter a weight loss plateau.

Side Effects of Losing Weight Too Quickly


Too rapid weight loss (eg. after bariatric surgery) can lead to unpleasant side effects. The  most common effects of over-rapid weight reduction include:

Appearance of Loose Skin  If you reduce weight too quickly, your skin does not have time to shrink to your leaner body shape. The only effective treatment for this is surgical intervention, such as Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). (Can't wait!)

Gallstones  Studies have shown that people who lose excessive amounts of weight very quickly, have a greater risk of developing gallstones than those who lose weight at slower speeds. Too rapid weight reduction may also cause "silent" gallstones to become active. (No gallbladder left in me)

Weight Regain (Weight Rebound)   Sudden fast weight reduction is usually caused by artificial changes to our eating habits as a result of very-low-calorie diet plans, or bariatric surgery. Not surprisingly, this does not give us enough time to learn new eating habits. So although our physical weight may have changed, our mental approach to food and eating remains the same. In the absence of medical supervision, or other support, we commonly find ourselves unable to sustain the new dietary habits required to maintain our lighter weight, and regain all our lost weight. (This is why FOLLOW UP is key for we who have had Bariatric Surgery. At the Toronto Western Hospital, the Bariatric Clinic hosts a whole TEAM of experts to help me get and keep my 'act' together for LIFE so as not to regain the weight.)

MY UHN Bariatric TEAM: (University Health Network includes Toronto Western, Toronto General and Princess Margaret Hospitals)  I have a Nurse, Social Worker, Psychotherapist, Psychiatrist, Nutritionist, Dietitian, my own Surgeon, Dr. Allan E. Okrainec, who is the Deputy Head in the Division of General Surgery, as well as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery, teaching with University of Toronto. And has a great personality!

On top of that, I have my own Family Doctor, also associated with the UHN and his office is conveniently located at the Toronto Western, (lucky me!). He too is a great doctor and a nice guy.

Next week I have follow up appointments with my Family Doctor, Nutritionist, Social Worker and my Sleep Doctor. I'll keep you informed about what I learn!

CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE!        http://memoriesproductions.yolasite.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment